Thursday, September 27, 2012

[How-to] ALEKS on Ubuntu

Having to do ALEKS for my classes was one of the major hindrances that was stopping me from making the full switch to the (in my opinion) far superior GNU/Linux platform. But now I have found a solution to the problem, that is much better than their "streaming" option or the instructions that they have on their website for GNU/Linux, which still refer to netscape!

  1. Install (if you haven't already) the appropriate java package for you GNU/Linux distribution. In my case I believe it was just the wrapper package "default-java"
  2. Download the aleksPack10.jar 
  3. Copy it (with sudo or root perms) to "/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/jre/lib/ext
  4. Do your ALEKS!
 If this helped you and you are (understandably) mad about the ALEKS Corporation's lack of support please take the time to fill out a support ticket complaining about the lack of  GNU/Linux support that they offer you. I like to file the "technical problems" as it seems that they will get back to you sooner, even if it is only to say that it's not officially supported.



Comments, questions or suggestions? Leave them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment